Bournemouth Central 1923
Central Bournemouth in 1923 in a fascinating series of reproductions of old Ordnance Survey plans in the Alan Godfrey Editions, ideal for anyone interested in the history of their neighbourhood or family. In 1851 Bournemouth had a population of just 695 but over the next few decades it rose to become one of England`s greatest seaside resorts and by 1911 with a population of 78,764 it was second only to Brighton. The town is covered by three maps, taken from the original Ordnance Survey Hampshire series. The North Bournemouth map covers the northern part of the town, stretching from Braidley Road eastward to Knole Road and St Clements church, and from Iddesleigh Road and the cemetery southward to Christchurch Road and Old Christchurch Road. The Central station is near the centre of the map. Features include Dean Park, St Augustin`s church, Wimborne Road, Richmond Gardens, Town Hall, Madeira Vale, Hotel Metropole, Municipal College, Lansdowne Road, Holdenhurst Road, engine shed and turntable, St Paul`s church, tramways and tram depot, Knyveton Gardens, and innumerable villas. The Boscombe and Pokesdown map continues coverage west through Boscombe, Pokesdown and Freemantle. The Christchurch Road runs through the centre of the map and coverage extends from Drummond Road eastward to Beaufort Road and Grand Avenue. Features include Boscombe and Pokesdown stations, Kings Park, cemetery, St John`s church, Palmerston Road, Boscombe Chine Gardens, Hotel Burlington, Groveley Manor, Wentworth Lodge, Seabourne Road, tramways and depot, Convent and isolation hospital. A list of private residents for Boscombe is on the reverse. This Central Bournemouth map shows a three miles stretch of the coastline from the Winter Gardens eastward to Fisherman`s Walk. Features include Bournemouth Pier, Pleasure Grounds, Winter Gardens, St Peter`s church, Royal Bath Hotel, Royal Exeter Hotel, St Swithun`s church, East Cliff, Russell Cotes Museum, Westover Palace, Boscombe Pier, Boscombe Spa, Portman Ravine, etc. About the Alan Godfrey Editions of the 25″ OS SeriesSelected towns in Great Britain and Ireland are covered by maps showing the extent of urban development in the last decades of the 19th and early 20th century. The plans have been taken from the Ordnance Survey mapping and reprinted at about 15 inches to one mile (1:4,340). On the reverse most maps have historical notes and many also include extracts from contemporary directories. Most maps cover about one mile (1.6kms) north/south, one and a half miles (2.4kms) across; adjoining sheets can be combined to provide wider coverage.FOR MORE INFORMATION AND A COMPLETE LIST OF ALL AVAILABLE TITLES PLEASE CLICK ON THE SERIES LINK.